April 13th - 21st, 2013
(8 nights 9 days)
THE TRIP IS A PREFECT BLEND OF WILDLIFE SAFARIS, JUNGLE WALKS, HOMESTAY AND HIGH HIMALAYAS VIEWS.
- Day 1: Ramnagar- Corbett- 45 minutes Reach Ramnagar in the morning by train. Drive to a Jungle Retreat in the peripheral forests of Corbett. Check into a Cottage. Freshen up and later go for an afternoon safari or the early evening Elephant ride.
- Day 2: Corbett Another safari in the Jungle today. In the afternoon, you could for a walk in the jungle or go bird watching. Evening at leisure in the retreat. Night stay in retreat.
- Day 3: Corbett- Binsar- 5-6 hrs Leave after breakfast to reach Binsar by afternoon. Check into the cottage located within the Sanctuary. Visit the zero point in the afternoon else hike up to a local village close by. Night stay in cottage.
- Day 4: Binsar- Munsiyari (2298M) - 210 kms/ 8-9 hrs Today, we leave early in the morning for Munsiyari. This is a long day on road via Pithoragarh and through some back of beyond roads. We are now on extreme eastern end of Uttarakhand almost bordering Nepal. A good day on the road though. Reach Munsiyari in the evening and settle in to your room. Early dinner and early to bed.
Munsiyari means place with snow. Situated on the banks of Goriganga, this town used to be on the ancient Tibet- salt route. The region is known as Johar valley and is inhabited by Shaukya people. Shaukyas used to lead semi- Nomadic life and were engaged in trade with Tibet. In old days, entire salt consumption in these Himalayas came from Tibet. Physiologically, the region is extremely beautiful. Great for bird watching and hiking. The region is home to some exotic birds like Monal, Snow cock, snow partridge, himalayan vultures, serpent and golden eagles. It is also an important transit for treks to Ralam, Milam glaciers. Munsiyari offers a grand view of Panchchuli range, Hansling, Rajarambha and Chiplakot, all peaks over 19000 ft.
- Day 5: Munsiyari- Sarmoli village walk Enjoy breakfast at leisure. After breakfast, at the Home Stay, set off at for a guided tour of the village. You get to observe the human geography- of changing architectural styles and the human-nature interaction, of managing the forest commons and its inter-relationship with livestock, agriculture. Visit the village temple, forest and water sources. Those interested in the local wool craft, visit families that have working looms in their homes. Lunch at the picturesque Mesar Kund, a scared pool nestled in the Forest commons. Enjoy the rest of the day in the picturesque surroundings of the village. We could also visit a Tribal heritage museum.
Evening at leisure. Night stay in Munsiyari.
- Day 6: Munsiyari- Jhaltola- 5 hrs After breakfast, leave for Jhaltola, another destination not on a regular tourists map. Drive past Chaukori and towards east once again. Visit the Birthi falls and Kotmanya Musk deer farm en route.
Reach Jhaltola later afternoon and settle into your room. Rest of the day at leisure to discover, read, indulge in photography else, the retreat has an activity center with games, a small library and an amphitheater. Evening around a bonfire. Night stay at Jhaltola estate.
Jhaltola estate’s Himalayan views stretch from Nanda Ghunti through Trishul, Mrigthugni, Maiktoli, Nanda Devi, Nand East, Panwali Dwar, Nanda Kot, Nanda Khat, Nanda Bhanar, Lapsa Dhura, Raj Rambha, Panchachuli, and some Nepal Himalayan peaks. It is located amidst about 1000 acres of mixed forests. Last year, more than 150 species of birds were identified and photographed here. At 1700 to 2600 meters ASL, Jhaltola is a perfect habitat for birds.
- Day 7: Jhaltola A half day hike to Lamkeshwar. This is a 3 km uphill hike to the temple. It offers fabulous 360 degrees view. Return to retreat in time for lunch. Rest after lunch, else you could try your hand at Rock craft (rappelling, rock climbing, tyrolean traverse and Burma bridge). Evening around a bonfire. You could try star gazing. Night stay in retreat.
- Day 8: Jhaltola A half a day trip to Patal bhuvaneshwar (27 kms). Patal bhuvaneshwar is an important Shiva shrine. Rest of the afternoon at leisure. You could also go for bird watching in the afternoon if you wish. Evening around a bonfire. Retire to your rooms after dinner.
- Day 9: Jhaltola- Kathgodam drop- 6-7 hrs We come to the end of the trip and head back to Kathgodam railway station.
CostCost per person: INR 46600/-
1. Accommodation on twin share.
2. Meals from breakfast on day 1 to lunch on day 9.
3. Land transfers from Kathgodam- Kathgodam.
4. Services of a Banjara representative.
5. Services of a guide for walks as per itinerary.
6. 2 jeep safaris and jungle walks in Corbett National Park.
7. All applicable taxes as per taxes applied by Govt. of India till Dec 2012.