February 10-23, 2013
(8 nights 9 days)
Known throughout the world for its beautiful fur and shy, elusive behavior, the endangered snow leopard (Panthera uncia) is found in the rugged mountains of Central Asia. Snow leopards are perfectly adapted to the cold, barren landscape of their high-altitude home, but human threats have created an uncertain future for the cats. Despite a range of over 2 million km2, there are only between 4,000 and 6,500 snow leopards left in the wild.
- Day 1: Chandigarh- Thanedar- 6 hrs Leave from Chandigarh between 1100-1200 hrs and drive to Thanedar. Reach Thanedar at around 1800hrs. Check into retreat and rest.
- Day 2: Thanedar- Kalpa- 6 hrs Leave for Kalpa after breakfast. Drive along River Sutlej for most of the way. Reach Kalpa in the evening. Check into the hotel for the night. Kalpa is famous for its apple and chilgoza plantations and offers an unparalleled view of the Kinner Kailash. Night stay in hotel.
- Day 3: Kalpa- Kaza- 8-9 hrs We leave early in the morning after breakfast and head to Kaza. Here the landscape changes from lush green to complete barren. Reach Kaza in the evening. Stay the night in a local homestay.
- Day 4: Kaza- Kibber- 1 hr Day for acclimatization. Also meet the Nature conservation foundation to gather information on snow leopard. Night stay in a homestay.
- Day 5: Kibber- Tashigang- 6 hrs hike We leave for Tashigang after breakfast.
- Day 6: Tashigang- Dinam- Rongolon we spend next 6 days tracking snow leopard in Tashigang, Dinam and Rongolon area of Spiti.
- Day 7: Rongolon- Kibber- Tabo- 3 hrs hike and 2 hrs drive
- Day 8: Tabo- Narkanda- 9-10 hrs
- Day 9: Drop at Kalka/ Chandigarh- 5-6 hrs
CostCost per person on twin share: INR 63000 per person