June 29th - July 8th, 2013
(9 nights 10 days)
The trek starts from Kinnaur, which is lush green and finishes in barren Spiti region with stark landscape. Visit Chitkul; the last border outpost or Comic; the highest village in Asia and the famous monasteries of Tabo and Ki. The results of old contacts with Tibet are still visible in the fairs and festivals and other customs of the people in the remote areas. The extended family system is still prevalent in the region. Polyandry is practiced in a few homes.
- Day 1: Chandigarh Thanedar (7700 Ft)- 195 kms/ 6 hrs Reach Chandigarh by Shatabdi train / flight around 1100 hrs and drive to Thanedar via Shimla; the summer capital of the British at the time of their rule. Overnight stay at Banjara’s Orchard Retreat.
- Day 2: Thanedar - Sangla (8700 Ft)- 165 kms/ 6 hrs A walk in the Saroga forest early in the morning. Around mid - morning, drive to Sangla. Arrive in Sangla early evening. Evening at leisure. Overnight stay in tents at Banjara camp.
- Day 3: Sangla- Rakcham- 12 kms/ 4-5 hrs Today’s is the acclimatization hike. Hike up to Rakcham village. This is a beautiful hike and we call it the Signature walk of the valley’. Back to camp in the evening. Overnight stay in Banjara Camp.
- Day 4: Sangla Kafnu (7216Ft) Mulling (10759Ft) Drive- 66km/3 hr and trek 15 kms/ 5 hrs Drive to Kafnu, 2200M. The starting point of the trek. Walk to Mulling, 3280M, through forest and meadows. Steep climb in parts. Night stay in trekking tents.
- Day 5: Mulling Kara (11677 ft)- 6kms/3hr Kara at 3560M is a nice meadow with lots of alpine flowers.
- Day 6: Kara - Phustirang (13776 ft)-6km/3hr Follow the left bank of the river to Phustring (base of the pass), 4200M. Several streams join here. you get fantastic views of the Hansbeshan peak (5840M).
- Day 7: Phustriang - Chhochhoden (13km/5hr) Early morning departure. A steep 3km/3hr walk leads to the 4865M high pass. There is a very good chance of finding snow at the pass. All peaks towards Spiti are visible. Camp overnight.
- Day 8: Chhochhoden - Mud - Kaza (12km/4hr, 65km/2hr) The walk is on the right bank of River Pin and has very gradual gradient. Drive from Mud and drive to Kaza. Night stay at Banjara Retreat.
- Day 9: Kaza- Manali- 200 kms/ 8-9 hrs Drive for Manali via Kunzum and Rohtang la as we head back towards home. Reach Manali in the evening and settle into your room. Evening at leisure. Night stay in hotel.
- Day 10: Drop at Chandigarh airport/ railway station- 8-9 hrs
CostCost Per Person: INR 54500/-