July 6th - 15th, 2014
(9 nights 10 days)
Rupin pass is one of the most fantastic treks in this region. The trek begins from the lovely valley of Sangla in Himachal Pradesh and moves onto Uttarakhand via Rupin pass. In terms of landscape, gradient and altitude, it offers a wide range. Not a very well known trek, it certainly is one of the most beautiful being full of streams, waterfall, river, mountain views, snows, beautiful meadows full of flowers etc.
- Day 1: Chandigarh- Thanedar- 6 hrs Reach Chandigarh at 0350 hrs by Kalka mail. Get off and drive to Thanedar. Stop en route at Shimla for breakfast and freshen up. Carry onto Thanedar. Check into Banjara retreat around 1100 hrs. After lunch, hike to Hatu peak. Evening around a bonfire. Night stay in retreat.
- Day 2: Thanedar- Sangla- 6 hrs Wake up early in the morning. After breakfast, drive to Sangla. Reach Sangla early n the evening. Check in and hike up to Batseri village after freshening up. Evening around a bonfire. Night stay in camp.
- Day 3: Sangla- Acclimatization hike to Rakcham valley- 6 kms Today, we go on a upward hike to Rakcham valley. This is the signature walk of the valley. The gradient is moderately upward. Reach Rakcham village by afternoon. Drive back to camp. Rest of the day at leisure as we prepare and check gear for the trek the next day. Evening around a bonfire.
- Day 4: Sangla (2700m) - Sangla meadows (3600m) - 4-5 hrs Sangla meadow is a perfect place to see the Kinner Kailash massif in its full glory. The locals have their fields in the Sangla meadows (or Sangla Kanda as they call it). As going up and down every day is inconvenient, so lot of people have made their temporary huts here called 'Dogri'. When it starts to get cold in the valley, the shepherds often take their sheep and goat herds across Rupin Pass (visible in the distance) to the meadows near Dehra Dun. Night stay in tents.
- Day 5: Sangla meadows- Base of Rupin pass (about 3500m) - 4-5 hrs
- Day 6: Base of Rupin pass- Rupin pass (4750m) Dandrash (3450M) 6 hrs This is a tough day on the trek with steep uphill and downhill climbs. There would be snow at the pass.
- Day 7: Dandrash- Jiskool (2320M)- 5-6 hrs This is a lovely hike through meadows and then we hit the valley. We walk past a waterfall and cross a cross a river.
- Day 8: Jiskool- Sewa (2040M)- 4-5 hrs From here on, it is a gradual downhill walk most of the way.
- Day 9: Sewa- Dhula (1560M)- Mussoorie- 3 hrs walk and 6 hrs drive Last day on the trek, we reach Dhula where vehicles will be waiting to carry us on to Mussoorie. Settle into your rooms in Mussoorie. Rest of the evening at leisure.
- Day 10: Morning Jan Shatabdi from Dehradun back to Delhi and connecting flights/ trains out. Leave early in the morning from Mussoorie and drive to Dehradun to catch Jan Shatabdi back to Delhi.
COST PER PERSON: INR 54,500/- PER PERSON
1. Accommodation on twin share basis.
2. Transport from Chandigarh to Sangla and Dhula to Dehradun railway station.
3. Trekking arrangements for 5 nights 6 days with kitchen and trek support and staff.
Cost does not include:
1. Any train/ airfare.
2. Any En route/ personal expenses.
3. Any insurance.
4. Bottled mineral water. Boiled water available while on trek.
5. Any expenses incurred due to any factors beyond our control like a natural calamity/ man-made calamity.