(6 nights 7 days)
This trip starts in the laidback & beautiful western side of Sikkim and then takes you to a small village in the southern parts that is big on views and exquisite pristine landscapes. It ends with a couple of days of relaxation in the serene & peaceful countryside of Rumtek interspersed with visits to the adjoining & contrastingly vibrant Gangtok area.
- Day 1: New Jalpaiguri Rly Stn/ Bagdogra Airport - Pelling (2150 M) 120 kms /5 hrs Arrive at New Jalpaiguri Railway Station / Bagdogra Airport. You will be met and assisted at the station/airport and then drive to reach Pelling (Pemayangtse) in the evening. Overnight in a hotel/resort.
- Day 2: Pelling Morning walk to Pemayangtse Gompa. Post breakfast leave on a driving excursion to the stunning valleys of Uttarey & Dentam – towards the border with Nepal. Early evening visit the Rabdentse ruins by walk and try to be here for sunset - the scenic view from the top of the ruins scanning across the deep valley, to the mystic heights of the Kanchenjunga range is quite unforgettable.
- Day 3: Pelling - Yuksom Borong (1770 M) 122 kms/ 5 hrs Check out after breakfast and drive on towards Yuksom, stopping en route to see the magnificent waterfalls at Rimbi and with a detour to see the Kecheopalri Lake, also called the “Wish Fulfilling Lake”. Yuksom was the first capital of the Kingdom of Sikkim. See the world heritage coronation site of the first Chogyal where you still see the stone throne and footprint of the Head Lama on a rock. You could also do a ½ hr steep climb through the forest to Dubdi (Hermit’s Cell) Gompa - built in 1701 after the consecration ceremony as a place for Lamas seeking recluse. Carry on reaching the beautiful village of Borong. This little explored area is a haven for nature and mountain lovers, surrounded by alpine landscape, dense verdant woodland, hot spring, sylvan forests & water falls at the foot of Mainam Hills with a backdrop of snow capped Himalayan peaks like Mt. Narsing, Simvo & Siniolchu. The view from the sit-out of your cottage here is mesmeric at sunrise & sunset.
- Day 4: Borong Full day at leisure to simply relax savoring the views or going for some delightful nature walks. You could also drive to the beautiful village of Kewzing and visit the gompa here.
- Day 5: Borong Temi Tea Garden Rumtek (1750 M) 90 km / 4 ½ hrs Leave after breakfast via Ravangla to the exotic Temi Tea Garden, spend some time here enjoying this stunning locale and later drive through typical Sikkimese mountainside dotted alluringly with terraced land & orchards to finally reach Rumtek by late afternoon. Later visit Rumtek Monastery – Sikkim’s largest and 2nd largest in Asia after Lhasa. Overnight in an eco resort.
- Day 6: Rumtek Gangtok sightseeing You could either choose to do some nice walks/hikes or simply relax in the serene & blissful ambience this area has. Late afternoon you could drive to Gangtok and spend the evening in vibrant downtown Gangtok. Alternatively you could do an excursion to Nathu La & Changu Lake or some local sightseeing – visit the three famous viewpoints that offer panoramic views of the entire valley & the Kanchenjunga ranges, Dodurl Chorten, Orchid House and the Cottage Industry Institute where you can buy authentic Sikkim hand-crafted souvenirs, carpets, home décor products…
- Day 7: Rumtek NJP/Bagdogra 125 kms/ 5 ½ hrs Morning transfer to Bagdogra Airport/New Jalpaiguri Rly Station in time to board your flight/train back home.