Aug 11 -17 , 2017
(6 nights 7 days)
The world famous Valley of Flowers is situated in the upper expansions of Bhyundar Ganga in the far interior of Garhwal Himalayas. Spread over an area of 87.5 Sq. Km. The valley is at an altitude of is 3,250 M to 6,750 M above mean sea level. Many a legend are associated with this vibrant and eye catching Valley, and are often in the epics of the Ramayana and Mahabharata.
The valley of Flowers National Park starts from Ghangharia but the main valley starts after crossing the gorge and the stream starting from Nar Parvat, At the entrance of the Valley stands the snow-clad peak of Ratban Parvat, towards the left is Nar Parvat, which separates the Badrinath valley from this valley, and to the right is dense Birch forest on the hillsides.
Below the forest are meadows and the River Pushpavati flows through the valley and there are many waterfalls enhancing the beauty of the valley. The bloom starts immediately after the melting of snow but the peak blooming period is from mid July to mid August. Almost 300 species of wild flowers bloom here unhindered by mankind. The prominent species are Braham kamal, Anemone, Geranium, Marsh marigold, Prinula, Lilium, Potentilla, Ranunculus, Inula, Corydalis, Pedicularis, Arisaema, Ligularia, Morina, Impatiens, Saxifrages Bistorta, Anaphalis, Sibbaldia. The myriad shades of the valley have attracted lots of travelers through the years.
- Day 1: Dehradun - Rudraprayag Reach Dehradun by flight/train. Board waiting vehicle and drive on to Rudraprayag. Reach Rudraprayag by afternoon and check in to the hotel.
- Day 2: Rudraprayag - Joshimath 5-6 hrs drive Post leisurely breakfast, leave for Joshimath. Reach Joshimath by afternoon and check into hotel. Rest of the day can be spent at leisure and preparation for the trek.
- Day 3: Joshimath- Govindghat – Ghanghariya (3133M) – 22 kms drive and 14 kms/6 hrs trek A less than two- hour drive along the Alaknanda River brings us to Govindghat. From here our trek starts. On a given day there are hundreds of Sikh pilgrims headed for the Shrine at Hemkund, and alighting from our jeeps we join this joyous group heading up to Ghangaria. The ascending mule track climbs past terraced fields and vegetation to the hamlet of Pulna (3 km). From here the trail is a little wilder and more forested, with occasional glimpses of snow peaks. The 7- km. from Pulna to Bhyundar Village is a steady ascent and the altitude is moderate. Shortly after Bhyundar, the trail crosses the Laxman Ganga, over a bridge elevated by giant boulders. The trail is steeper now but Ghangaria is only 4 km. away. Our campsite is beyond Gangharia in a relatively isolated area.
- Day 4: Ghanghariya - Valley of Flowers (3600M) – Ghaghariya- 7 kms/4 - 5 hrs per way Current Government regulations do not permit any camping within the notified are of the valley and entry to the valley is restricted to permit holders only. The trail is well chalked out, and is a delightful ramble as it climbs gently through a coniferous forest, before descending to a bridge, and check-post that mark the official entry to the Valley of Flowers. Climbing up a rocky trail, with the forest behind us, the first flowers begin to appear. Every morning after breakfast, trekkers are escorted into this gene pool to explore different cross sections of the Bhyundar Valley. Packed lunches, flasks full of hot beverages as well as assorted refreshments are arranged. By evening, you back at your base camp at Gangharia where dinner would be served after a round of refreshments.
- Day 5: Ghanghariya - Govindghat - Rudraprayag - 4 hrs hike and 4-5 hrs drive Hike back to Govindghat and drive to Rudraprayag. On arrival check in to the hotel.
- Day 6: Rudraprayag – Rishikesh + (Rishikesh sightseeing + Ganga Arti) Drive to Rishikesh. On arrival check in to the hotel. Later go for sightseeing tour of Rishikesh.
- Day 7: Rishikesh - Haridwar – Dehradun Post early breakfast, drive to Haridwar. Visit Har-Ki-Pauri, the Mansa Devi Temple, Chandi Devi, Daksha Mahadev Temple, Bharat Mata Temple. Late afternoon drive to Dehradun to get dropped at the airport to board flight for your onward destination.