July 7th - 16th, 2013
(7 nights 8 days)
Kanamo peak better known as the ‘White Hostess’ at 5964M towers above kibber and Ki gompa in Spiti valley of West Himachal Pradesh. ‘White hostess’ is considered a good omen by the locals. Spiti, locally pronounced "Piti", is bounded on its south and west by the valleys of Kulu and Lahaul; the region of Ladakh lies to the north and the Kalpa valley lies to the south-east. Geologically and archaeologically, Spiti is a living museum. The mountains are devoid of any vegetation and erosion by wind, sun and snow over thousands of years has laid bare the rocks. The rugged and rocky mountain slopes sweep down to the riverbeds giving the landscape a moon-like appearance. Surrounded by the Kibber plateau, the region of Kaza is pristine and has its fair share of wildlife ranging from Blue sheep to Himalayan to Tibetan wolves and the elusive Snow leopard.
- Day 1: Chandigarh- Manali- 8 hrs Reach Chandigarh by train/ flight and drive to Manali. Settle into your rooms upon reaching. Rest of the evening at leisure. Night stay in the hotel.
- Day 2: Manali- Kaza (3686M) - 8-9 hrs Drive for 8-9 hrs over Rohtang La (3978M) and Kunzum La (over 4551M) to Kaza. The landscape changes startlingly over a matter of a few hours from lush green forest to meadows to barren moonscape as you move towards cold deserts of Spiti. Overnight stay in Banjara Retreat in Kaza.
- Day 3: Kaza Acclimatization Morning at leisure to acclimatize. After lunch, drive to visit Ki, Kibber monastery and village. Back to Kaza in the evening. Rest of the evening at leisure.
- Day 4: Kaza- Kibber- Acclimatization hike Drive from Kaza to Kibber, spending the night in a guesthouse in the Highest Village in the World! Kibber is a beautiful village and well worth a visit on its own. After a leisurely breakfast, visit the Ki monastery and Kibber village. Also, hike around in the area a little. Overnight stay in Kaza.
- Day 5: Kaza- Kibber Kanamo Base camp- 4-5 hrs After breakfast, drive to Kibber. The trek begins today with a walk up to Kanamo Base camp, an easy 4-5 hour trek from Kibber. We set a camp for the night. Turn in early.
- Day 6: Kanamo summit (5964M) - Kaza We begin our ascent very early in the morning. This is a longest and most rewarding day on the trail as we summit the peak (hopefully at sunrise hour) and head back to reach by afternoon.
- Day 7: Kaza- Manali Drive back to Manali from Kaza via Kunzum La and Rohtang La. Overnight stay in a hotel in Manali.
- Day 8: Drop at Chandigarh- 8-9 hrs
CostCost Per Person: INR 47000/-