(5 nights 6 days)
A fast paced trip that gives you a great feel of what this region has to offer; apt for those who can't spare too much time but would still like to experience Ladakh.
- Day 1: Arrive Leh (3505 M/11500 ft.) Board a morning flight and reach Leh airport. Our representative will receive you at the terminal and you then drive for about 20 minutes to reach Leh town. Check into your room. It is critical for proper acclimatization that people flying in to Leh don’t indulge in much physical activity for at least the first 24. So the rest of the day is reserved for relaxation and a short acclimatization walk in the vicinity.
- Day 2: Leh – local sightseeing Visit Shey, Thiksey & Hemis Gompas. Later enjoy a Ladakhi meal at a traditional home in Stok Village. Late afternoon and evening at leisure in Leh – see the palace & walk around in the bazaar.
- Day 3: Leh - Nubra Valley at Deskit (avg. alt. of Nubra Valley is 3048 M / 10000 ft)) 140 km / 5 hrs After breakfast, leave by 0800- 0830 hrs on a stunning drive over the mighty Khardung La (5602 M) into the verdant Nubra Valley. We reach the base of the valley at Khalsar. Here the road forks & the broad valley get divided into two distinct parts by the Shyok & Nubra Rivers. Of course, the road forks too; the RHS branch goes all the way to Siachen Glacier. We move on the other branch and reach Deskit Village in the afternoon. Check into your hotel rooms and have hot lunch. At around 15.30 hrs, drive for about 10 min. to reach the dunes of Hunder. Here those interested may enjoy a ride on the Double Humped Camels. Later drive back to Deskit and reach vantage point with a huge outdoor statue of the Sakhyamuni Buddha near Deskit Gompa to enjoy great sunset views. Stay overnight in a hotel at Deskit.
- Day 4: Deskit – Shyok – Pangong Tso (4260 M / 14000 ft) 230 km / 8-9 hr Leave post an early breakfast, on an uncommon drive over a very offbeat route that takes you over a little known route – Shyok, into the Sakti Valley. A short while later, stop for a quick look into the cave gompa of Chemrey, and move on to meet the route from Leh, a short distance before the imposing Chang-La (5,475 M / 17950 ft). Go over the pass and carry on via Tangse and finally reach the grand Pangong Lake by evening, in time to catch the sunset views. Stay overnight in tents at a campsite.
- Day 5: Pangong Tso – Hemis – Leh 165 km / 5 ½ hrs Enjoy your early morning cuppa & a spectacular sunrise by the lake shore. On the drive back to Leh, take a detour at Karu to see the glorious Hemis Gompa atop a hill in the periphery of the Hemis National Park. Later have your lunch in a quaint cafeteria at the base of the main stairway. Reach Leh by late afternoon. Rest a while and leave for the bazaar to shop for Thangkas, Chunky antique Silver Jewelry with Turquoise embellishments, mementos, Apricots & apricot based beauty products… Spend sunset at Shanti Stupa for unforgettable views of Leh Valley & town. Bid your adieus as you enjoy a grand farewell dinner at restaurant and reach your hotel in time to turn in for the night.
- Day 6: Depart Leh Get dropped at the airport to board flight for your onward destination.