Zanskar is easily the most exotic & pristine of Ladakhi regions. This vast region is very sparsely populated, it is accessible only by the road connecting Kargil with Rangdum & Padum, or long treks. Apart from stunning landscapes & terrain, a visit to Zanskar offers a unique opportunity to see several ancient but fully operational gompas, perched in impossible locations on the rugged mountainside.
(11 nights 12 days)
- Day 1: Arrive Srinagar Alt 1585 M Reach Srinagar and get transferred to your pre-booked hotel relax and take a short walk around the area. Also, enjoy Shikara ride in Nigeen Lake. Stay overnight at hotel.
- Day 2: Srinagar-Kargil Alt 2676M| 202kms 6-7hrs After breakfast leave for Kargil enjoy verdant landscapes into starkly contrasting mountain desert terrain as you cross the formidable Zoji La (3529 M). Drive via Drass to reach Kargil by late afternoon. Stay overnight in a hotel.
- Day 3: Kargil-Rangdum 3657M| Sankoo(42 KM)-Panikhar(67 KM)-Parakachik (98 KM)-Rangdum(138 Km) Have breakfast and get driven to reach beautiful Sankoo Village. The village of Sankoo in a bowl shaped valley that has been drained out by a large tributary steam of the Suru river. We carry on our drive to reach Panikhar and spend some quality time by doing walk to nearby Parkachik La to relish the amazing view of the glacier, north faced to Nun-Kun Mountain. We will reach Rangdum by the evening.
- Day 4: Rangdum-Padum Alt3510M |103km 3-4hrs Leave after breakfast get driven to Padum. Reach there and check into your accommodation. Relax and explore the nearby places. Stay overnight at hotel.
- Day 5: Padum-Stongde(18KM)-ZangLa(32KM)-Karsha Gompa(62KMS)-Bardan Gompa - Padum We will start our day after an early breakfast and visit Stongde. An old foundation associated with the Tibetan Yogi, Marpa, Stongdey is now the second largest monastic establishment of Zanskar, inhabited by the resident community of about 60 Gelukpa monks. Later on we will visit Zangla located on a hill top right side to village. Lying deep in the northern arm of Zanskar at the end of the 35 km. Long rough road from Padum, Zangla was being ruled by a titular king till his death a few years back. After that Karsha Gompa - Karsha is the largest and most important monastery in Zanskar. It is attributed to Padmasambhava. Before reaching our Hotel we will go approximately 12kilometers south of Padum to visit Bardan Gompa. Bardan Monastery of Ladakh, standing atop a rocky crag, belongs to the Dugpa-Kargyud monastic order and was one of the first monasteries of this sect to be established in Zanskar. The monastery also ran several smaller hermitages in the area. Overnight Stay at the hotel.
- Day 6: Padum-Kargil | 230kms 7-8hrs After breakfast leave for Kargil enjoy verdant landscapes into starkly contrasting mountain desert terrain as you cross the formidable Zoji La (3529 M). Drive via Drass to reach Kargil by late afternoon. Stay overnight in a hotel.
- Day 7: Kargil– Leh Alt 3505 M| 210 km (7-8hrs) After breakfast get driven to Leh. On the way visit Nimmu – confluence point of Indus & Zanskar River, Patthar Sahib Gurudwara , Magnetic point and Hall of Fame. Reach Leh and check into your hotel and stay overnight.
- Day 8: Leh Sightseeing Post breakfast at hotel enjoy sightseeing of Leh including Thiksey and Shey Monastery. Drive to Stok Village and enjoy a traditional Ladakhi meal in a village home, later see Stok Palace & Museum. Post lunch After Lunch visit Hall of Fame, Magnetic point, Patthar Sahib Gurudwara and Nimmu – confluence point of Indus & Zanskar River. Stay overnight at the hotel.
- Day 9: Leh– Deskit-Hunder | 225 km / 5hrs) After breakfast at hotel proceed for a stunning drive over the mighty Khardung La (5602 M) into the verdant Nubra Valley. Reach the base of the valley at Khalsar, stop for a cup of tea if interested. Here the road forks & the broad valley get divided into two distinct parts by the Shyok & Nubra Rivers. The RHS branch goes all the way to Siachen Glacier. Reach Deskit in the afternoon. Check into your hotel rooms and have hot lunch. Relax for while and early evening we drive about 10 mins to reach the dunes of Hunder, here those interested can enjoy a ride on the Double Humped Camels. Be back in Deskit by 1630 hrs and reach the vantage point with a huge outdoor statue of the Sakhyamuni Buddha near Deskit Gompa to enjoy great sunset views. Stay overnight in the hotel.
- Day 10: Deskit-Pangong Tso (4260 M / 14000 ft) |150 km / 5 hr After breakfast get driven to Pangong. At the foot of the pass on the other side we reach Tangse. Stop to enjoy your lunch in the Ladakhi style dining area of a local home-cum- guest house. Later carry on your drive and reach Pangong by early evening. Check into a Safari Tents bang on the lake shore at a campsite. Enjoy spectacular views of the mountains of the Changchenmo range to the north, their reflection shimmering in the ever changing blues and greens of the lakes brackish water. Stay overnight at the tent.
- Day 11: Pangong Tso– Hemis- Leh 165kms 5-6hrs Enjoy your early morning cuppa & a spectacular sunrise by the lake shore. On the drive back to Leh, take a detour at Karu to see the glorious Hemis Gompa atop a hill in the periphery of the Hemis National Park. Reach Leh by late afternoon. Rest a while and leave for the bazaar to shop for Thangkas, Chunky antique Silver Jewelry with Turquoise embellishments, mementos, Apricots & apricot based beauty products. Spend sunset at Shanti Stupa for unforgettable views of Leh Valley & town. Enjoy a grand farewell dinner at @ Kitchen restaurant and return back to your hotel for the overnight stay.
- Day 12: Leh—Airport drop After breakfast at the hotel, get transferred to the Leh airport to board a flight for your onward journey. Tour ends here with lots of everlasting memories of Leh.